Tuesday 28 April 2009

Flash Application

This again, was a part of the "Entertainment Computing" module at UCLAN as part of the computer games development course that I'm doing. The brief was to make either an interactive slideshow application, using flash and in specific, actionscript 2, or in the case of some of the game development students in the module, a game using the same language and application. I decided to make a small game. This was my first time using actionscript and flash, and coming from c++ the actionscript wasn't so bad, if not a bit buggy and a bit "out of your control", I also had some trouble getting the hang of the CS3 interface, but after reading some guides about how to use it, I soon managed to start on the application and get some work done. I decided that a simple point and click shooting game would be a nice little project for my first game using actionscript and flash, I also tried to target the graphics and gameplay at my target audience (about late teens to early twenties, probably male, though it doesn't really matter) by making it bright and colourful with some nice animations. To be specific, it was an alien themed game, where aliens are trying to escape area 51, and you have to stop them by using your double barrel shotgun. Work went along pretty fast, and I managed to get most of the features that I wanted into the game, the only thing that I couldn't was outputting a score to the screen, it seems like there is little documentation for flash (or no-where near as much as c++, and not anywhere near as comprehensive). Though all in all, I found it quite fun to do once I got the hang of it.

No comments: